The Public Testimony on Public Schools made recommendations to improve American schools and their governance.
- Steps be taken to improve the "legislative process" in educational policy making . . . a rredistribution of responsibilities for policy decision at each legislative level — state, local district, and school.
- A council at each school with appropriate responsiblity and authority. The school council should b e elected and should share authority and responsibility for curriculum, school program budgeting, school progress reports, and personnel evaluation.
- a) Responsibility for negotiations with teachers remain with the local school board . . . provided with independent staffsor consultants to assist in analyzingthe impact of b argaining demands and in developing strategies and policies and b) School boards should seek independent advice or staff to dev elop policies that represent a balance between professional and lay concerns.
- A local school board establish procedures to involve the public responsibly in the process of negotiations. a) inclusion of citizens in the development of school bargainig positions; b) public hearings; c) broad dissemination and distribution of the board's position on the major bargaining issues d) open and publicized negotiations; e) press notification of meetings.
- State legislatures substantially increase the power of and the staff support for education committees so that there can be effective legislative monitoring.
- more later